Washington, D.C. — Colorado U.S. Senator Michael Bennet, New Mexico U.S. Senators Ben Ray Luján and Martin Heinrich, Colorado U.S....READ MORE
Perlmutter Holds 105th and Final Government in the Grocery
Lakewood, Colo., August 27, 2022
Today U.S. Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO-07) held his 105th and final Government in the Grocery event. A signature event of the office, Perlmutter started the Government in the Grocery program when he first took office in 2007 in order to better hear from constituents and meet with them one-on-one in their local community. The first Government in the Grocery was held on January 27, 2007 in Wheat Ridge. Since then, Perlmutter has held 105 Government in the Grocery events and 22 office hours, including virtually during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout these events, the office has helped approximately 3,370 people.
One of the first Government in the Grocery events in Arvada, Colo. in 2007
“The Government in the Grocery program has enabled me to hear firsthand from constituents on a consistent basis, which in turn, has made me a better representative for my community. I appreciate everyone who over the years took time out of their busy weekend to attend one of these events. It has been an honor of a lifetime serving the people of my community,” said Perlmutter.
While the average attendance ranges from 20 to 30 people, some Government in the Grocery events have seen upward of 200 people. For example, in 2009 during the Affordable Care Act debate and in 2017 after President Trump first took office. Over the years, Perlmutter has met with hundreds of constituents during these informal meetings on topics ranging from jobs, mortgage issues, the economy, Veteran issues, national budget, national security, Medicare, debt, education, medical research, health care, human rights, animal rights, war and many others. These events have happened across the region in cities such as Aurora, Brighton, Arvada, Edgewater, Federal Heights, Northglenn, Commerce City, Westminster, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Golden, Bennet, and Thornton.
A Government in the Grocery event which became a larger town hall in Thornton, Colo. in February 2017
Ideas for legislation, support for legislation, constituent assistance and more have resulted from these meetings, such as:
• In July 2019, a constituent attended an event to ask for help expunging dismissed charges from the FBI database. Perlmutter’s office inquired about the matter and worked with the FBI to clear the charges within a matter of weeks, enabling the constituent to continue to pursue his career ambitions.
• Visits from the Citizens Climate Lobby over the last few years resulted in Perlmutter’s cosponsorship of H.R. 763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019.
• In 2007/2008, a couple from Bennet, CO recommended a few ideas which were ultimately included in Perlmutter’s G.R.E.E.N. Act and have been incorporated in related legislation that has passed through Congress.
• A constituent was having trouble with CHP+ about getting his daughter's health care reinstated. Perlmutter and his staff made calls to CHP+ and health care was reinstated within two days.
• Many constituents were indirect victims in the Madoff Ponzi Scheme. Perlmutter personally met with these constituents on a regular basis and worked with other members of Congress to pass legislation to help all indirect victims recoup at least a portion of their losses.
• Perlmutter met with small business restaurant owners who needed access to a loan to expand their restaurant and connected them with several financial institutions who were able to make a loan and help the owners open a new restaurant.
• As a result of interactions with constituents at a Government in the Grocery, Perlmutter agreed to cosponsor the following legislation:
o H.R. 178: Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act which gives spouses of deceased service members their full life insurance payments
o H.R. 2239: Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act
o H.R. 733: Pancreatic Cancer Research and Education Act
o H.R. 639: Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act which levels the playing field against unfair Chinese currency manipulation which hurts US manufacturers
o H.R. 835: Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act (PUPS Act) which cracks down on puppy mills
Final Government in the Grocery event in Lakewood, Colo. on August 27, 2022.