– U.S. Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO-07) today joined House Democrats in passing H.R. 1, the For the People Act, a transformational and comprehensive package to protect and expand voting rights, preserve the integrity of U.S. elections, end special-interest money in politics, and hold elected officials accountable.
“This is the biggest piece of legislation designed to protect our democracy that’s been passed in decades. Recent events have shown us that our democracy is fragile and voting cannot be taken for granted,” said Perlmutter
. “We must fortify and strengthen these rights in the face of attempts to shrink people’s right to vote and create obstacles for them to express the direction in which they want to see this country go. I’ve said many times before, it takes hard work by the people to protect and preserve a democracy. I’m proud to support H.R. 1 so we can put the power back in the hands of the people and work to shore up and strengthen the foundations of our democracy.”
The 2020 election underscored the need for H.R. 1 with many Americans across the country facing voter suppression, gerrymandering and a torrent of special-interest dark money just to make their voices heard
. Following the 2020 election, there have been 253 pieces of legislation introduced in state legislatures
across 43 states to make voting more restrictive and less accessible, including in Colorado
“I’m proud Colorado has been the gold standard and a model for many of the voter access and election security provisions included in H.R. 1, including our mail-in voting system, many of our election security measures, and an independent redistricting commission. However, our state is not immune to threats to voter access and we must continue to do everything we can to ensure equal access to the voting box for free, fair and open elections,” continued Perlmutter
Key provisions of H.R. 1 includes:
• Expanding automatic voter registration and same day registration
• Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access
• Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression
• Protecting elections from foreign interference
• Ensuring independence in redistricting
• Promoting digital ad transparency
• Forcing disclosure of dark money
• Reigning in lobbyist influence
• Enforcing ethics and conflicts of interest rules for all government officials
• Empowering small donors with matching funds paid for by lawbreakers, not taxpayers
Perlmutter supported H.R. 1 in the 116th Congress and has long-supported similar measures, including the Government By The People Act which amplifies the voice of individual Americans by providing a $25 My Voice Tax Credit for campaign contributions to Congressional candidates.
for more information about H.R. 1.