The Affordable Care Act (ACA), otherwise known as Obamacare, isn’t perfect and I believe changes can be made to improve it. But the Republican-controlled Congress seems determined to replace our healthcare law. I will demand that any new healthcare legislation continues to provide access to affordable healthcare coverage as well as the following:
1. Protect Americans with preexisting conditions
2. Strengthen Medicare
3. Allow young people to stay on their parents’ plan until the age of 26
4. Keep the uninsured rate at or below 8.6%
5. Help the economy and encourage job growth
6. No life time limits on care
7. Cap out-of-pocket expenses
8. Decrease the deficit
…is this asking too much? No.
We’ve actually already accomplished all these things and much more with the Affordable Care Act. We should build on this progress we’ve already made, rather than repeal a law that has already meant the difference between life and death for so many Americans. I am open to improving Obamacare, but I will oppose any effort to roll back the progress we’ve already made.