My staff and I regularly help citizens navigate through some of the red tape when dealing with a government agency. When mistakes are made by the government, it can cause people to feel frustrated and ignored. I see it as my duty to be sure you are not ignored. Whether you lost important documents, have not received a timely response from the federal government, need help with benefits, grants or resources, we will do our best to help you in navigating the system.

Do you need information for passport applications or renewals?  Click here!

Do you have questions about your Social Security benefits?  Click here!

Do you have questions about the IRS and your tax filings?  Click here!


Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Can I open a case with your office?

A:  My office can make inquiries for constituents of the 7th District of Colorado.  If you are unsure of which district you are in, please visit and input your zip code and address.

Q: What if I have an issue with a city, state, or county agency?

A:  As a United States Congressman my office can only make inquiries with federal agencies.  However, there are state resources available in these circumstances.  I encourage you to contact the Governor's Citizen's Advocate Office at (303) 866-2885 or visit their website at

Q:  Can you expedite a claim or application?

A:  My office cannot put pressure on any agency in order to expedite a claim or application. In certain circumstances, most federal agencies have a process for expediting cases, and my office can help you find the best available option.

Q:  Can you help with cases involving litigation?

A:  Unfortunately, no.  Due to the constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, it is out of my jurisdiction to intervene in judicial matters or any issues involving the courts.  

Q:  Can you overturn a decision made by a federal agency on my claim or application?

A:  My office cannot overturn federal agency determinations. However, my office can send a congressional inquiry to check on the status of a pending case or for clarification of a final decision.


Quick Tips for Casework

Department of Veterans Affairs

You can contact the Denver VA Regional Office by clicking here or calling the Nationwide Benefits Information Hotline at 1-800-827-1000.

Due to the large number of claims through the VA, some veterans may feel their case has been overlooked or is taking too long.  Our office can help you check the status of your claim or get you in contact with the correct department.

Social Security Administration

You can file for Social Security benefits online at    

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

You can access forms and search your case status by visiting or call 1-800-870-3676.   If you have general or case specific questions you can schedule an INFOPASS appointment.

Military Help Line: 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645)
Offices outside of the U.S.

Department of State

Need a U.S. passport? Visit or call 1 877-487-2778
Colorado passport agency 877-487-2778
Overseas travel, information, alerts and warnings; 1-888-407-4747 (24 hours)
Emergency assistance for Americans abroad: 1-888-407-4747 (24 hours)

Home Loan Modifications or Foreclosures

Homeowners who are behind on their payments or are unable to keep up with their mortgage should first ask their lender about foreclosure prevention options.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) can help distressed homeowners find home loan modification counselors in their area free of charge.  Click here to find a counselor near you.

Please review HUD's "Avoiding Foreclosure" page by clicking here.  Also, I encourage you to call the Colorado Foreclosure Hotline at 1-877-601-4673 or visit the Colorado Foreclosure Hotline website.


How to Open a Case:

1. Complete a privacy act release form.
2. Mail or fax the release form to my office.
3. Attach a detailed description of your issue along with copies of relevant supporting documents.
4. Contact my office by phone to ensure we have received your information.
5. Be certain to read through the list of frequently asked questions to determine if an answer to your inquiry exists.
6. You are also encouraged to visit my office in person.

                                                          Congressman Ed Perlmutter
                                                          12600 W. Colfax Ave., Suite B-400
                                                          Lakewood, CO 80215
                                                          Office Hours M-F 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
                                                          Phone: (303) 274-7944 ~ Fax: (303) 274-6455