Government in the Grocery
“Government in the Grocery” is a program initiated by Congressman Ed Perlmutter when he first took office in 2007 in order to reach out to the constituents of the 7th Congressional District. This is an easy and convenient way for constituents to meet with their Representative and his office staff about issues, concerns and needs important to them. On a regular basis, Congressman Perlmutter conducts these meetings at different grocery stores around the district and meets with constituents one-on-one about whatever is on their mind. This kind of access is essential to the fabric of our democracy.
Since January 27, 2007 Congressman Perlmutter hosted more than 80 Government in the Grocery events at grocery stores throughout cities in the 7th Congressional District.
He has met with more than 1,000 constituents during these informal meetings on topics ranging from jobs, mortgage issues, the economy, veterans issues, national budget, national security, Medicare, debt, education, medical research, health care, human rights, animal rights, war and many others.
A few examples of constituent concerns and follow up action from Congressman Perlmutter:
- A constituent was having trouble with CHP+ about getting his daughter's health care reinstated. Congressman Perlmutter and his staff made calls to CHP+ and health care was reinstated within two days.
- Many constituents were indirect victims in the Madoff Ponzi Scheme. Congressman Perlmutter personally met with these constituents on a regular basis and is working with other members of Congress to pass legislation to help all indirect victims recoup at least a portion of their losses.
- Congressman Perlmutter met with small business restaurant owners who needed access to a loan to expand their restaurant. Congressman Perlmutter connected these small business owners with several financial institutions who were able to make a loan and help the owners open a new restaurant.
- Over the last five years, Congressman Perlmutter has helped more than 200 constituents access the correct person in the appropriate federal agencies to help with Housing, Social Security, VA and IRS issues.
- Co-sponsored the following legislation at the request of constituents:
- HR 178: Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act which gives spouses of deceased service members their full life insurance payments.
- H.R. 2239-Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act.
- H.R. 733-Pancreatic Cancer Research and Education Act.
- HR 639: Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act which levels the playing field against unfair Chinese currency manipulation which hurts US manufacturers.
- HR 835: Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act (PUPS Act) which cracks down on puppy mills.
Click on the maps below to see locations of Congressman Perlmutter's previous Government in the Grocery events: